Bakery Look-Alike Chinese Marble Cookies
Dedicated to my son-in-law
The first time he saw these he gazed with awe
These cookies are a treat
Whose flavor can’t be beat
They bring a smile to your face
Just like the one my daughter permanently has in place
So go ahead and mimic the bakery draw
And enjoy being a mother-in-law
I’m a delicious homemade copy
Not some wanna be jalopy,
Compared to the bakery my taste is superior
I’m not a bit inferior,
However if you are on a mission
To find a bakery cookie tradition
You’ve come to the right venue
To get this recipe in your menu!
These cookies have a wonderful texture and a delicious slight almond and chocolate flavor. They are decorated with a little melted chocolate in the middle after baking. My friends always call me to bring them some of these. These cookies look like picture perfect bakery cookies and are perfect for the lunchbox or for parties. The children will have fun decorating them with either a drizzle of melted chocolate for simplicity or a dollop of cooked fudge frosting. I have also included a version without marbled chocolate that have walnuts and vanilla flavoring instead of the almond extract and the melted chocolate. This version tastes especially delicious with the fudge frosting. The fudge frosting is worth the effort. It goes on the cookie a little thicker and has a slightly salty taste combined with the sweet chocolate. The frosting is easy and is made in one bowl in the microwave. I have made the recipe sufficiently large that there will be plenty to go around and they freeze well. These cookies are not expensive to make and are good to give as presents because they are so picture perfect.
3 cups vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons almond extract
3 teaspoons baking soda
6 cups flour
3 ounces melted semisweet chocolate
10 ounces semisweet chocolate
4 Tablespoons oil
1 cup powdered sugar
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt 3 ounces chocolate in microwave for 90 seconds and let cool for two minutes
- Cream shortening together with sugar.
- Add almond extract and eggs.
- Add baking soda and mix for another 1 minute.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Swirl melted chocolate in cookie dough with a spatula or your hands until you achieve a marbled affect without over mixing.
- Form 2-inch balls and place 8 per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until slight cracks appear.
- Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for two minutes then transfer to aluminum foil that has been place on counter top.
Frosting (For quick and easy amazing fudge frosting)
- In a glass bowl combine1/3 cup of the powdered sugar, oil in glass bowl and chocolate in a glass bowl.
- Microwave for 90 seconds on timed cook.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and second 1/3 cup of powdered sugar.
- Microwave for 60 seconds.
- Use a paper towel to protect hands when removing bowl because it will be hot.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir.
- Let the frosting cool for 5 minutes and puddle in the center of each cookie.
- Cool cookies thoroughly until frosting is set.
- I hasten the process by putting the cookies a few at a time on a flat tin in the refrigerator until the frosting is chewy and fudgie.